Scheduled Holiday Policy - New York & District of Columbia
Subject to the terms and conditions set forth below, this Policy on Scheduled Holidays covers Administrators and Professionals and Professional Research Staff working for New York University (“NYU” or the “University”) in New York and/or Washington, D.C. (hereinafter, “covered employees”).
- This Policy does not apply to employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement (“CBA”). Such employees should refer to the applicable CBA.
- Faculty are not covered under this Policy, and should consult with the appropriate chairperson or dean and/or refer to the faculty handbook for any applicable policies.
Paid Time Off
Unless otherwise provided under the terms of this policy or any other applicable University policies, full-time covered employees shall receive paid time off, at their regular base pay, for scheduled holidays. And, unless otherwise provided under the terms of this policy or any other applicable University policy, part-time covered employees shall receive paid time off, at his or her regular base pay, based on the number of hours for which he or she was scheduled to work that day.
Please take note of the following:
- If a scheduled holiday falls while a covered employee is on vacation or on paid sick leave, the employee receives pay for the holiday (i.e., the day off is not charged against the employee’s vacation/sick leave entitlement).
- A covered employee does not receive pay for holidays that occur during paid bonding leave or an unpaid leave of absence. A covered employee receiving disability or worker’s compensation benefits also is not eligible for holiday pay.
- If a holiday falls on the first working day after the scheduled expiration date of a covered employee’s unpaid leave of absence, the employee is not paid for that holiday.
See the list of scheduled holidays.