Environmental Health and Safety Policy
Purpose of Policy
New York University is committed to excellence in occupational safety, health, and environmental protection in the use and operation of all NYU owned, leased and licensed properties in the United States and around the world. NYU's policies are intended to help prevent environmental and workplace accidents and injuries, increase safety awareness, and to fully comply with all legal and regulatory requirements. Faculty, staff, students, and all individuals working within the NYU community are required to perform all NYU operations in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, as well as NYU Safety Procedures and Written Programs. All operations of properties at NYU’s global sites are required to fully comply with all relevant local laws and regulations applicable to each site and strive to adhere to the safest practices and procedures followed with respect to NYU’s operations within the United States. The NYU community endeavors to continuously improve our environmental health and safety performance by adhering to the following objectives:
• Developing and improving programs and procedures to promote compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
• Ensuring that NYU personnel are properly trained and provided with appropriate safety and emergency equipment.
• Taking appropriate action to correct hazards or conditions that endanger health, safety, or the environment.
• Considering possible environmental and safety impacts when making operational decisions, including those concerning facilities management and construction projects.
• Encouraging personal accountability and emphasizing compliance with standards and conformance with NYU policies and best practices during employee training and in performance reviews.
• Monitoring NYU's progress through periodic evaluations of compliance and the effectiveness of NYU’s Safe Work Policies.
Below are links to NYU’s specific Safe Work Procedures/Practices in specific categories of activity relevant to NYU’s operations. The provisions of the each category covered by Safe Work Procedures/Practices contain, to the extent they exist, a link to the laws and regulations applicable to such category of operations. In the event any NYU employee or member of the community has any questions regarding such policies, laws and regulations, they should contact the person in charge of such operations. In the event legal assistance is required in interpreting or complying with any legal requirements, the Office of General Counsel should be contacted to provide assistance.