In celebration of its milestone 50th anniversary, the NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate will host its 50th Annual Conference on Capital Markets in Real Estate, titled “Infrastructure Investment and Real Estate in the 21st Century,” on Thursday, November 16, 2017 at The Pierre.
New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, who has been a driving force behind major infrastructure projects including the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement and the much-needed redevelopment of LaGuardia Airport, will deliver the keynote address.
For half a century, the NYUSPS Schack Institute’s annual Conference on Capital Markets in Real Estate has been one of the industry's most prominent forums on the state of commercial real estate capital markets and investment activity. Once again, the Conference will convene industry leaders for a vigorous debate on global equity and debt capital flows, institutional and private equity investment activity, and emerging sources of market disruption.
As part of the overarching discussion of real estate capital market conditions, this year's conference also will address the intersection of real estate and infrastructure investment. The importance of infrastructure for the real estate industry has never been more apparent. The health of our cities, the opportunities to develop, and the value of our portfolios all depend upon the quality and reliability of the surrounding infrastructure. Amid a growing national consensus on the pressing need for infrastructure investment, industry leaders will discuss real estate's infrastructure priorities and opportunities for partnership between the public and private sectors.
“In addition to the core real estate program, this 50th anniversary event addresses the need for a national infrastructure agenda and the importance of infrastructure investment for the real estate industry,” asserted Sam Chandan, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development and Investment, and associate dean of the NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate. “With the input and participation of top thought leaders in the field, we have created a forum that builds upon all that we have accomplished over the years, but one that also looks squarely into the future at the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.”
This year’s Conference is chaired by Robert S. Blumenthal, vice chairman and managing director, Americas Real Estate, Gaming, Lodging and Leisure Group, Deutsche Bank Securities, and co-chaired by Jeff T. Blau, chief executive officer, Related Companies; Greta Guggenheim, chief executive officer and partner, TPG Real Estate Finance Trust; and Tyler S. Henritze, senior managing director and co-head of US Acquisitions, The Blackstone Group.
One of the conference highlights will be a conversation between Conference Co-chair Jeff T. Blau, chief executive officer of Related Companies, and James D. Kuhn, president of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank and chairman of the advisory board of the NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate.
The Conference also will present its annual star panel, “The Golden Apple: The Mount Rushmore of New York City Real Estate,” featuring New York City real estate titans MaryAnne Gilmartin, president and chief executive officer, Forest City Ratner Companies; Scott Rechler ’90, chairman and chief executive officer, RXR Realty; Stephen M. Ross, chairman and founder, Related Companies; and William C. Rudin, co-chairman and chief executive officer, Rudin Management Company. This panel will be moderated by Robert Blumenthal.
Scott Rechler also will introduce Governor Cuomo during the afternoon keynote address.
In addition, other panels will discuss global debt capital flows: the rise of debt funds; drivers of real estate private equity; global equity capital flows: infrastructure funds for public private partnerships; 21st century infrastructure and the disruptors; and infrastructure at the brink.
To register and to view the complete conference agenda, please visit sps.nyu.edu/capital. For registration inquiries, please contact Jessica Estrada-Watson at SchackConferences@nyu.edu or call 212-992-3618.
If you are a member of the press who wishes to cover the event, please contact Cheryl Feliciano at email@example.com, Alka Gupta at firstname.lastname@example.org or Paola Curcio-Kleinman at email@example.com.
FULL PANEL LIST
Global Debt Capital Flows: The Rise of the Debt Funds
- Matt Borstein, Global Head of Commercial Real Estate, Deutsche Bank Securities [Moderator]
- Brian Baker, Managing Director, Global Head of Commercial Mortgages, J.P. Morgan Securities
- Jeffrey F. Dimodica, CFA, President and Managing Director, Starwood Property Trust
- Greta Guggenheim, Chief Executive Officer and Partner, TPG Real Estate Finance Trust
- David Lehman, Managing Director, Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Jonathan Pollack, Senior Managing Director and Global Head of the Real Estate Debt Strategies Group, Blackstone
The Drivers of Real Estate Private Equity
- Tyler S. Henritze, Senior Managing Director and Head of US Acquisitions in the Real Estate Group, Blackstone [Moderator]
- Spencer B. Haber, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, H/2 Capital Partners
- Leslie Wohlman Himmel, Founder and Co-Managing Partner, Himmel + Meringoff Properties
- William D. Rahm, Senior Managing Director, Centerbridge Partners
- Lauren Hochfelder Silverman, Managing Director and Head of Americas, Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing
The Golden Apple: The Mount Rushmore of New York City Real Estate
- Robert S. Blumenthal, Vice Chairman and Managing Director, Americas Real Estate, Gaming, Lodging and Leisure Group, Deutsche Bank Securities [Moderator]
- MaryAnne Gilmartin, President and Chief Executive Officer, Forest City Ratner Companies
- Scott Rechler ’90, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, RXR Realty
- Stephen M. Ross, Chairman and Founder, Related Companies
- William C. Rudin, Cochairman and Chief Executive Officer, Rudin Management Company
One-on-One Discussion with Jeff T. Blau
- James D. Kuhn, President, Newmark Knight Frank; Chairman, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate Advisory Board [Moderator]
- Jeff T. Blau, Chief Executive Officer, Related Companies
Global Equity Capital Flows: Infrastructure Funds for Public Private Partnerships
- Sam Chandan, PhD, FRICS, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development and Investment, and Associate Dean, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate [Moderator]
- Jonathan Dracos, Head of Global Real Estate, Investcorp
- Paul A. Galiano, Senior Managing Director, Cohead of Acquisitions, Dispositions, Capital Markets, Joint-Venture Transactions, Tishman Speyer
- Sean Klimczak, Global Head of Infrastructure, Blackstone
- Edward Pallesen, Managing Director, Head of Infrastructure Investment Group for the Americas, Goldman, Sachs & Co.
Disrupting Infrastructure in the 21st Century
- Thomas K. Wright, President, Regional Plan Association (RPA) [Moderator]
- Richard Florida, PhD, Renowned Urbanist and Author, Clinical Research Professor, NYU School of Professional Studies, and Distinguished Fellow, NYUSPS Urban Lab
- Jason Post, Director of Public Affairs, Uber Technologies
- Jessica Robinson, Director, City Solutions, Ford Motor Company
Keynote Address: Introduction
- New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
With introduction by Scott Rechler ’90, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, RXR Realty, Chairman of Regional Plan Association (RPA), Board Member of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA)
About the NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate
The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate was founded in 1967 at the initiative of prominent members of the New York City real estate community, who encouraged NYU to establish an academic center that would provide a world-class education for industry professionals. Fifty years later, the Schack Institute is at the forefront of real estate education and is recognized globally as one of the world’s leading centers of real estate research and pedagogy. Across the Institute’s graduate degree programs—notably the MS in Real Estate, the MS in Construction Management, and the MS in Real Estate Development—as well as a rapidly expanding undergraduate degree program, enrollment has grown to nearly 1,000 full- and part-time students from across the United States and nearly 50 other countries. In addition to its flagship degree programs, thousands of working professionals enroll in the Schack Institute’s executive education, Diploma, and Career Advancement courses each year.
An anchor of real estate academia’s engagement with industry, the Institute is home to the REIT Center, the Center for the Sustainable Built Environment (SBE), and the newly established Urban Lab. In addition, the Institute hosts national industry events, including annual conferences on real estate capital markets and the REIT sector. Under the direction of the Schack Institute’s faculty members, ongoing applied research at the Institute spans an exceptional range of issues in real estate development and investment, urban economics, and market structure and regulation. For more information about the NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate, visit sps.nyu.edu/schack.
About the NYU School of Professional Studies
Established in 1934, the NYU School of Professional Studies (sps.nyu.edu) is one of NYU’s several degree-granting schools and colleges, each with a unique academic profile. The reputation of the School of Professional Studies arises from its place as the NYU home for study and applied research related to key knowledge-based industries where the New York region leads globally. This is manifest in the School’s diverse graduate, undergraduate, and Professional Pathways programs in fields such as Accounting, Finance, and Law; Applied Health; Arts, Design, and Film; Creative Cities and Economic Development; English-Language Learning; Entrepreneurship; Fundraising and Grantmaking; Global Affairs; Hospitality and Tourism Management; Human Resource Management and Development; Languages and Humanities; Management and Systems; Marketing; Project Management; Public Relations and Corporate Communication; Publishing; Real Estate, Real Estate Development, and Construction Management; Sports Management, Media, and Business; Translation; and Writing.
More than 100 distinguished full-time faculty members collaborate with an exceptional cadre of practitioner/adjunct faculty members and lecturers to create a vibrant professional and academic environment that educates over 5,000 degree-seeking students from around the globe each year. In addition, the School fulfills the recurrent professional education needs of local, national, and international economies, as evidenced by nearly 28,000 Professional Pathways enrollments in Career Advancement Courses and Diploma Programs. The School’s community is enriched by more than 31,000 degree-holding alumni worldwide, many of whom serve as mentors, guest speakers, and advisory board members. For more information about the NYU School of Professional Studies, visit sps.nyu.edu.