The NYU Clive Davis Institute for Recorded Music will host a one-day festival April 10 designed to inspire and educate students who wish to become entrepreneurs and innovators in the music industry. The festival, known as RECESS, is sponsored by WIN Music and backed by a roster of noteworthy investors that include Mark Cuban and Stephanie LaFera.
“In addition to artistic excellence, The Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music (NYU) puts heavy emphasis on entrepreneurship, which we believe is a critical component to success in today’s music world,” said Jeff Rabhan, Chair of the NYU Tisch Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music. “RECESS is the perfect tie-in, since it brings the same philosophies and ideals we teach in the classroom to life, and it gives our students access to the top start ups and entrepreneurs in the industry.”
The event is part of RECESS’s nationwide campus tour, which brings together successful entrepreneurs, new startups, and a musical performance for a full day of entertainment, learning, and career building. Speakers and panelists will include ONE Co-Founder Cory Levy, Chair of the Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music Jeff Rabhan, renowned music laywer Ed Shapiro, and Miki Agrawal, #1 best selling author and Co-Founder of THINX.
“RECESS curates the best day of college by bringing together successful entrepreneurs, the coolest new startups and the hottest acts in music to campuses across the country,” said RECESS Co-Founder Jack Shannon. “Our mission is to inspire the next generation of entrepreneurs that will change the landscape of tomorrow’s businesses.”
While at NYU, RECESS will present the following day of events:
- Study Hall, a speaker series featuring:
- A one-on-one chat between About.me CEO & True Ventures Partner Tony Conrad and ONE Co-Founder Cory Levy who raised $1M at the age of 19 and counts True Ventures as an early investor.
- The Music Innovations Panel, led by NYU Professor and music veteran Jeff Rabhan on the intersection of music and technology with Splice/GroupMe Co-Founder Steve Martocci and well-known music lawyer Ed Shapiro of Reed Smith LLP.
- A panel on Social Entrepreneurship, moderated by Summit’s Avi Spielman, with best-selling author and Co-Founder of THINX Miki Agrawal, Pencils of Promise COO Melanie Stevenson, and Roozt Co-Founder and CEO Brent Freeman.
- The Playground will feature innovative startups like social networking app ONE, social video sharing app Glide, cloud music production software Splice, fashion company Combatent Gentlemen and many others. At the Playground students will receive a special wristband that they can scan in at each booth allowing students to win prizes from companies.
- RECESS Pitch Competition, where the winning team from each school advances to an all-expenses paid trip to the National Pitch Finals in Downtown Las Vegas to pitch major investors and meet potential advisors and mentors. Dorm Room Fund, a student-led investment fund, will be attending as judges and mentors and will be evaluating companies for potential investment.
- End-of-Day Celebration, featuring musical acts Robert DeLong, Sean Glass of Win Music, and more at SPIN.
RECESS is open to the entire NYU community and is free of charge with an RSVP at https://www.eventfarm.com/RecessNYU.
For more information on the Idea Pitch Competition & to submit your pitch, visit: http://bit.ly/RecessPitch.
To purchase tickets for the concert, visit: http://bit.ly/RecessNYU_Tix.
About the NYU Tisch Clive Davis Institute
The Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music provides professional business and artistic training toward a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree for students who aspire to succeed as creative entrepreneurs in the music industry. The program bears the name of its chief patron and advisor, Clive Davis. For more information, visit www.clivedavisinst.tisch.nyu.edu. Follow us on twitter at @clivedavisinst.