“The Port Huron Statement @50” two-day conference celebrating the founding document of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), will be hosted by the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development on Thursday, April 12 and Friday, April 13
“The Port Huron Statement @50” two-day conference celebrating the founding document of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), will be hosted by the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development on Thursday, April 12 and Friday, April 13. With a keynote address by Tom Hayden, the prime author of the Port Huron Statement, on Friday, April 13 at 9:30 a.m., the event will explore the document’s history, its legacy, and the struggle for democratic change on college campuses around the globe. Panel topics and sessions include:
• The Port Huron Statement in Historical Perspective, April 12, 6:30 p.m., Bobst Library 10th Floor, 70 Washington Square South
• Keynote Speech: “At Port Huron, We Were Right,” April 13, 9:30 a.m., Ireland House, One Washington Mews
• The 1960s and the Reorganization of Knowledge at NYU, April 13, 10:15 a.m., Ireland House
• Intergenerational Dialogue Between Veterans of the 1960s (Student Movement and Occupy Wall Street Activists), April 13, 12:30 p.m., Ireland House
• Participatory Democracy at the Grassroots Today: From Madison and Wall Street to Tahrir Square, April 13, 2:15 p.m., Ireland House
• Oral History Teachers Session and Reception, April 13, 5:30 p.m., Kimball Hall Lounge, 246 Greene St.
Special guest speakers include: Martha Noonan, Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) and SDS veteran; SDS veterans Rob Burlage and Todd Gitlin; Occupy Wall Street Activists, 1960s veterans, former SNCC chairman Chuck McDew, and others.
For a complete conference schedule, visit:
The public can register by emailing email@example.com. For additional event information, contact Robby Cohen, chair of the NYU Steinhardt Department of Teaching and Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.998.5211.
MEDIA ONLY: Reporters interested in covering or atte
Cannot serve request to /content/nyu/en/about/news-publications/news/2012/march/nyu-honors-founding-document-of-student-activism-the-port-huron-statement-50-april-12-and-13-.advancedsearch.html on this server
ApacheSling/2.2 (Day-Servlet-Engine/4.1.52, Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.7.0_80, Linux 2.6.32-696.6.3.el6.centos.plus.x86_64 amd64)