New York University’s Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute will host a day-long discussion on news coverage of the September 11 attacks and its aftermath on Friday, September 9, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., at 20 Cooper Square, 7th Floor (between 5th and 6th Streets). The event will feature more than two dozen reporters, photographers, and editors, including Pete Hamill, CNN’s Soledad O’Brien, and the New York Times’ Jim Dwyer, who covered the attacks 10 years ago.
The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 212.998.8044 or e-mail William Serrin, associate professor of journalism at NYU’s Carter Institute, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subways: 6, Astor Place; N, R, 8th Street
The schedule of panels is as follows:
- 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.: “Editing 9/11,” moderated by Pete Hamill; panelists include Ed Kosner, editor-in-chief of the Daily News on 9/11 and current writer for the Huffington Post; Paul Steiger, editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal on 9/11 and now editor-in-chief of ProPublica; Michael Oreskes, who on 9/11 was deputy managing editor of The New York Times and is currently senior managing editor of The Associated Press; Caroline Miller, who on 9/11 was editor-in-chief of New York magazine and is now editor-in-chief of Newser.
- Noon to 1:15 p.m.: “CNN’s Coverage of 9/11,” moderated by the Carter Journalism Institute Professor Jason Samuels; screening of CNN’s documentary on 9/11, followed by a discussion with Soledad O'Brien, currently the host of CNN’s “In America” documentary unit.
- 2 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.: “The Reporting of 9/11,” moderated by NYU Professor Meryl Gordon; panelists include Geraldine Baum, the New York bureau chief of the Los Angeles Times, New York Magazine reporter Chris Smith, and former overseas bureau chief for Al Jazeera, Gabrielle Menezes, who was a student reporter at NYU on 9/11.
- 4 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.: “The Photography of 9/11,” presented by Daily News photographer David Handschuh.
- 4:45-5:30: NYU student footage taken on 9/11
- 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.: “The Journalism of the Aftermath of 9/11,” moderated by NYU Professor William Serrin; panelists include Jim Dwyer, author of 102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers; former Daily News columnist Michael Daly, author of The Book of Mychal: The Surprising Life and Heroic Death of Father Mychal Judge and currently with The Daily Beast/Newsweek; Juan Gonzalez, Democracy Now! co-host and Daily News columnist, who first exposed what was happening to the Ground Zero workers; and Rosemary McManus, editor of Newsday’s multi-media package, who will speak about families and first responders.