The ever-popular Big Red Chair Family Series, a program of live performances for young people and families, returns for a third season to New York University’s Skirball Center for the Performing Arts. The 2010/2011 Big Red Chair lineup includes award-winning musicians, heart-warming performances of popular children’s books, two exciting new musicals from The Kennedy Center Theater, and an interactive theater adventure based on Star Trek, one of the most popular science fiction franchises of all time. Skirball Center Executive Producer L. Jay Oliva and Director Michael Harrington have also arranged for the Grammy Award-winning Ziggy Marley to kick off this year’s new season.
Family Time with Ziggy Marley, a performance of his latest music for children, will mark the opening of this year’s Big Red Chair series on September 19 at 3 p.m. (tickets $22-$30). Recently, Marley has contributed to movies such as Dora the Explorer, Arthur and Shark Tale, along with various children’s television programs, including Sesame Street. Marley won the 2010 Grammy for Best Musical Album for Children for Family Time, which features his reggae style of music with themes of love, unity, freedom, fun, and generosity. Marley brings reggae to the world of children’s music with this album and describes Family Time as “my family, your family, and the world’s family."
The Skirball Center’s 2010/2011 Big Red Chair Family Series will continue with:
- PROJECT Trio October 16, 7pm $10-$15 – Blending classical music with hip-hop and popular music, PROJECT Trio refreshes old favorites such as Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf and Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker.
- Jason and the Argonauts November 6, 2pm and 7pm $15-$25 – A winning theatrical take on an ancient Greek myth about a wronged prince’s adventures as he attempts to win back his place on the throne. From Visible Fictions of Glasgow, UK.
- Mummenschanz December 20–January 8, $45-$75 – The magic and wonder of Mummenschanz returns to North America for the first time since 2003 with a new program showcasing the incredible humor, versatility, and pure imagination of the celebrated Swiss performance troupe.
- Star Trek Live February 20, 2pm and 7pm $15-$25 – This Mad Science Production is an action-packed, interactive theater adventure that engages the audience in a Star Trek journey through the universe as members of the newly formed Starfleet Academy.
- Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Musical February 26–27, $15-$25 – Mo Willem’s popular children’s book turned musical is full of adventure and song as a little girl, her father, and her favorite toy take a trip to the laundromat in Brooklyn, NY. From the Kennedy Center Theater for Young Audiences on Tour.
- Shakespeare to Go in Romeo and Juliet March 5, 11am $10-$15 – One of Shakespeare’s most popular tales of romance in an adaptation just for children by Shakespeare to Go, a touring company created by NYU Steinhardt’s Program in Educational Theatre.
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Other Eric Carle Favorites April 2, 10am $15-$25 – This enchanting theatrical production brings to life three of Eric Carle’s classic children’s stories, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Little Cloud, and the The Mixed-Up Chameleon.
- Barrio Grrrl! A New Musical April 16, 2pm $15-$25 – Drawing strength from her Latino culture, her family, her alter-ego Barrio Grrrl, and her invisible sidekick Amazing Voice, spunky nine-year-old Ana finds herself to be a hero in the face of incredible circumstances. From the Kennedy Center Theater for Young Audiences on Tour.
Tickets for all events can be purchased online at www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu, or by phone at 212.352.3101 (toll free at 866.811.4111). Tickets will become available for sale in person at the Skirball Center’s Box Office beginning August 24. NYU’s Skirball Center for the Performing Arts is located at 566 LaGuardia Place at Washington Square. For a complete and current calendar of the Skirball Center’s 2010/2011 season visit: www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu.
Also available for families to purchase is the $150 Big Red Chair Series Membership Package which includes 8 tickets to attend Family performances, a special member price for Mummenschanz and a $50 donation to the Skirball Center.
The Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, New York University, is the premiere venue for the presentation of cultural and performing arts events at NYU and lower Manhattan. Located at 566 LaGuardia Place at Washington Square, it provides a large-scale, professional performance space for university productions and events and live professional performances from around the world. The 860-seat theater opened in October 2003 and hosts the only major university-based professional multi-arts presenting program in Manhattan. As a result, one natural and continuing mission of the Skirball Center is to build young audiences for live performance through a broad range of compelling performance events at affordable ticket prices. For more information, visit www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu.