The New York University Creative Writing Programs Fall 2009 Reading Series continues in December with a number of special poetry and fiction readings. Events are held in the programs Greenwich Village home, the Lillian Vernon Creative Writers House at 58 W. 10th Street, unless otherwise noted. The series is free and open to the public. For more information, call 212.998.8816 or visit www.cwp.fas.nyu.edu.
- Thursday, December 3, 7 p.m. Poetry Reading: John Ashbery. John Ashbery reads from his book of new poems, Planisphere (Ecco, December 2009). The winner of many awards, he has received two Guggenheim Fellowships and was a MacArthur Fellow from 1985 to 1990. Note Venue: Vanderbilt Hall, Tishman Auditorium, 40 Washington Square South
- Friday, December 4, 5 p.m. Poetry Reading: Denise Duhamel and Jill Bialosky. Denise Duhamels most recent poetry titles are Ka-Ching!, Two and Two Mille et un Sentiments, and Queen for a Day: Selected and New Poems. Jill Bialoskys collections of poems are Subterranean, The End of Desire, and most recently, Intruder.
- Thursday, December 10, 7 p.m. Special Performance: Anne Carson (with Robert Currie and Guest Performers). Anne Carson, along with her artistic collaborator Robert Currie and guest performers, presents a new interactive performance piece at the Lillian Vernon Creative Writers House. Reservations recommended: call 212-998-8816 after December 1.
- Friday, December 11, 7 p.m. Fiction Reading and Conversation: Michael Thomas. Michael Thomas is the author of Man Gone Down (Grove Atlantic), which won the 2009 IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. The Broken King, a memoir about four generations of men in his family, will be published in February 2010. Hosted by Darin Strauss.
- Thursday, December 17, 7 p.m. The Paris Review Salon: Colum McCann and Timothy Donnelly. Colum McCanns new novel, Let the Great World Spin, is a finalist for a 2009 National Book Award. Timothy Donnelly is the author of Twenty-seven Props for a Production of Eine Lebenszeit. Hosted by journal editors Christopher Cox and Dan Chiasson.
- Friday, December 18, 7 p.m. Emerging Writers: Matt Hart, Guest Author. The series showcases the students of the NYU graduate Creative Writing Program, and features established writers as special guests. Matt Hart is the author of the poetry collections Whos Who Vivid and the forthcoming title You Are Mist. Note Venue: KGB Bar, 85 East 4th Street.