The New York University Creative Writing Program’s Fall 2009 Reading Series continues in November with a number of special poetry and fiction readings. Events are held in the program’s Greenwich Village home, the Lillian Vernon Creative Writers House at 58 W. 10th Street, unless otherwise noted. The series is free and open to the public. For more information, call 212.998.8816 or visit www.cwp.fas.nyu.edu.
A schedule of November events follows:
- Thursday, November 5, 7 p.m. The New Salon: Fiction Writers in Conversation, with John Wray. John Wray is the author of the novels The Right Hand of Sleep and Canaan’s Tongue. He wrote much of his acclaimed new novel Lowboy, published in March 2009, inside the New York City subway system. In conversation with novelist Darin Strauss.
- Friday, November 6, 5 p.m. Happy Hour Reading-Writers from the Agriculture Reader: Heather Christle, Joshua Cohen, Matthew Rohrer, and Diane Williams. The Friday Happy Hour series features readings and refreshments on select Fridays at 5pm. On this evening, contributors to the Agriculture Reader read from their work. Hosted by editors Justin Taylor and Jeremy Schmall.
- Monday, November 9, 1 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Poetry Reading: Tomaz Salamun. Considered one of Slovenia’s greatest living poets, Tomaz Salamun is the author of many poetry collections, most recently There’s the Hand and There’s the Arid Chair. Introduced by poet Matthew Rohrer.
- Thursday, November 12, 7 p.m. Two Poets from Four Way Books: Carolyn Forché and Tom Healy. Acclaimed poet Carolyn Forché will read as the editor and literary executor of Daniel Simko’s new posthumous poetry collection, The Arrival. Tom Healy is the author of What the Right Hand Knows (Four Way Books, October 2009), his debut collection of poems.
- Friday, November 13, 7 p.m. Emerging Writers, with Guest Author Gary Shteyngart. The Emerging Writers Reading Series showcases the students of the NYU graduate Creative Writing Program, and features established writers as special guests. Gary Shteyngart is the author of the novels Absurdistan and The Russian Debutante’s Handbook. Note Venue: KGB Bar, 85 East 4th Street.
- Thursday, November 19, 7 p.m. The New Salon: Poets in Conversation, with Nick Flynn. Nick Flynn is the award-winning author of a memoir, Another Bullshit Night in Suck City, and two books of poetry, Some Ether and Blind Huber. A new memoir and poetry collection are forthcoming in 2010. In conversation with poet Deborah Landau. Co-sponsored by the Poetry Society of America.
- Friday, November 20th, 7 p.m. The New Salon: Fiction Writers in Conversation, with Jayne Anne Phillips. Jayne Anne Phillips is the author of two story collections and four novels. Her latest novel, the critically acclaimed Lark and Termite, was published in January 2009. Her awards include a Guggenheim Fellowship, two National Endowment for the Arts Fellowships, and a National Book Critics Circle Award nomination. In conversation with novelist Darin Strauss.