His Lips Really Don’t Move!
Ventriloquist Kevin Johnson of Tongue in Cheek - So to Speak will perform for two shows at 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday, January 10 at the Skirball Center for the Performing Arts at New York University, 566 LaGuardia Place (at Washington Square South). Tickets for the all-ages show range from $5 to $22 and are available at www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu, by phone at (212) 352-3101, or at the box office from noon to 6 p.m.,Tuesday through Saturday.
Called “seriously funny” and “one of the most unique talents around,” Johnson is a 2006 runner-up on NBC’s America’s Got Talent. David Letterman, extolling his talents, remarked, “Very, very impressive. I’ve never seen anything like that.” Johnson taught himself the art of ventriloquism beginning at the age of nine, and has been leading the way for a whole new generation of ventriloquists ever since. He is known for his “clean comedy,” and audiences will laugh, be amazed, and fall in love with him and his feathered friends, Clyde and Matilda, in his only New York venue.
Tongue in Cheek is part of Skirball’s Big Red Chair Family Series; affordable multi-arts performances geared toward the entire family. Upcoming Big Red Chair shows include: Rebecca Frezza & Big Truck, Feb. 7, $22; Hot Peas ‘N Butter, March 28, $22; and Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny, presented by Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia, May 9, $22.
The Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, now in its fifth year, is the premier venue for the presentation of cultural and performing arts events for NYU and lower Manhattan. For a current listing of the Skirball Center’s 2008-2009 season of events visit: www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu.
- Kevin Johnson - Tongue in Cheek, So to Speak
- When: 11 a.m. and 8 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 10
- Where: New York University’s Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, 566 LaGuardia Place (at Washington Square South)
- Tickets: $5-$22, general admission. Tickets can be purchased on the center’s website, by phone or at the box office from noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
- Details: (212) 352-3101 or www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu.