Fast-a-Thon Fundraising Event at NYU, Oct. 4
October 3, 2007
- WHAT: A fundraising dinner hosted by the Islamic Center at NYU (ICNYU), in association with the United Muslim Association student organization, to benefit WaterAid, an organization that helps enable the worlds poorest people to gain access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene education.
- WHO: Every year, Muslims fast for 30 days during the month of Ramadan, abstaining from food and drink from sunrise to sunset. The fundraising dinner, more popularly known as The Fast-a-Thon, brings approximately 600 non-Muslims from the larger NYU community together and asks them to fast for one day and follow it with partaking in a communal meal and an evening of reflection and social awareness. For every person that voluntarily fasts, a sponsor donates $1, or some increment thereof, towards the cause. Alternatively, individuals are able to give lump sums as a donation if they would rather do so.
- WHEN: Thursday, October 4th from 6:00pm to 8:00pm
- WHERE: NYUs Kimmel Center Eisner & Lubin Auditorium, 60 Washington Square South, New York, NY 10012
- WHY: In the past, more than $20,000, in total, has been raised and given to groups such as the Childrens Aid Society, The Covenant House, and the Darfur Peace and Development Organization. The 2007 partner, WaterAid, will direct proceeds from this years event towards the people of Bangladesh. A goal of $10,000 has been set.
For more information please contact:
Type: Press Release