In November, 2013, the University and the UAW reached a voluntary agreement to hold an election conducted by the American Arbitration Association so NYU and NYU-Poly graduate employees can decide whether to be represented by the Graduate Student Organizing Committee/UAW and Scientists and Engineers Together/UAW (GSOC/UAW and SET/UAW).
Under terms of the agreement, NYU and the UAW agreed to withdraw their proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board. The University and the UAW also committed to bargain in good faith for a contract upon confirmation of a majority vote by graduate employees for UAW representation in collective bargaining.
In December, the graduate assistants and research assistants covered by the agreement voted to affiliate with the UAW. Negotiations for a contract are expected to commence during the spring 2014 semester.
Documents & Statements
- Joint Statement by NYU and UAW on Proceeding with an Election for Covered Graduate Students | November 26, 2013
- Reply Brief of New York University | August 6, 2012 (PDF)
- Reply Brief of Polytechnic Institute of New York University | August 6, 2012 (PDF)
- Statement by NYU Spokesman on NLRB's Decision on June 22 to Review GA Unionization Once Again | July 23, 2012
- NYU NRLB Brief Submission | July 23, 2012 (PDF)
- NYU-Poly NRLB Brief Submission | July 23, 2012 (PDF)
- Amicus Brief Submission by Brown University | July 23, 2012 (PDF)
- Amicus Brief Submission by ACE | July 23, 2012 (PDF)
- Amicus Brief Submission by the National Right to Work Legal Defense & Education Foundation | July 23, 2012 (PDF)
- Amicus Brief Submission by Higher Education Council of the Employment Law Alliance | July 2012 (PDF)