The Student Senators Council (SSC), with the generous assistance of the Senior Vice-Provost for Research, has established a fund to support students traveling to conferences to present a project. The Conference Fund is available to all students, both undergraduate and graduate, who are looking for funding to attend a conference related to their academic or professional goals.
The Spring 2017 Conference Funding Application is now open! You can apply if you are attending a conference between January - May 2017. All application materials are due April 14, 2017, at 11:59 PM ET. The Summer 2017 Conference Funding Application will open in late-February.
About the Conference Fund
Presenting an academic project, a creative exhibit, and/or a performance at a conference can be a valuable experience that enriches a student’s understanding of a discipline and subsequent professions. The purpose of these grants is to encourage and assist student presentations at academic conferences related to his/her goals by off-setting the cost of registration, travel, and lodging.
There is a limit of one travel award per academic year. The award is not guaranteed, and requests are considered on a first-come, first-served basis. All grant recipients will be asked to present a Colloquium held at the end of each academic year.
Details about applying for the conference fund are below.
The conference fund provides awards of up to $750.00 for domestic travel and up to $1,000.00 for international travel. These awards will be given to those selected by the SSC Conference Funding Committee.
The application for the conference fund is open to all students who meet the following:
- The student is in good academic standing and has matriculated into a degree granting program at New York University.
- The student has been invited to attend, present or perform at a conference.
- The student has the written support of a faculty member or advisor.
If you are attending a conference between August - December 2016, the Fall 2016 application is due by December 2nd, at 11:59 PM ET.
The application for conferences between January and July 2017 will open in early-November.
Students may visit the SSC Conference Funding application and submit the following:
- A budget indicating the amount of funding requested and specific expenses the grant would cover, if awarded.
- A letter of intent, no more than 500 words, explaining why this conference will benefit your academic and/or professional objectives.
- A resume or curriculum vitae.
- A document confirming your acceptance to present at the conference.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member or advisor attesting to the quality of a student’s work and the benefit of attending the conference.
Strong applicants will thoroughly and thoughtfully craft a professional letter of intent and resume/CV, and provide a detailed breakdown of expenses.
After attending the conference, all recipients must submit receipts for expenses that will be covered by the funds awarded. Students will then be reimbursed after the submission of all receipts and proof of payment.
Applications will be reviewed by the Conference Funding Committee at least once a month on a first-come, first-served basis. The committee consists of selected members from student government.