The officers of the Faculty Senators Council shall consist of a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Past Chair, and the Chair-elect, which together shall comprise the Executive Committee
Responsibilities of the Executive Committee
- oversees and organizes all Council activities
- meets twice per month or as needed to discuss FSC matters, prepare for meetings, appoint members to committees/taskforces, etc.
- meets a few times per semester with the President and a few times per semester with the Provost on behalf of the Council
- appoints the chairs and members of the FSC and University Senate committees.
- nominates candidates for the positions of Senator-at-Large and Alternate Senator-at-Large
- reviews all communications of the Faculty Senators Council
- The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Faculty Senators Council. In the absence of the Chair, the Vice Chair shall preside at the meeting. In absence of both the Chair and the Vice Chair, the Secretary shall preside.
- All meetings of the Faculty Senators Council are conducted in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order.
- The Secretary shall bear the ultimate responsibility for the minutes.
- The Executive Committee shall appoint a Nominating Committee by the end of the fall semester to consist of 3 members of the Council in the second year of their current terms or the first or second year of any successive terms.
- The Nominating Committee for the election of the Chair and the election of Vice Chair and Secretary shall also include, as an ex-officio non-voting member, the current Chair of the Council. The Nominating Committee for the election of the Vice Chair and Secretary shall also include, as an ex-officio voting member, the Chair-elect.
- The Nominating Committee should make every effort to prepare a list of at least two candidates for the position of Chair-elect. The list of candidates will be announced in the notice prior to the January meeting.
- The Nominating Committee should make every effort to prepare a list of at least two candidates for the positions of Vice Chair and Secretary. The list of candidates will be announced in the notice prior to the April meeting.
- FSC members in any year of their term are eligible for election to the position of Chair. In the rare instance that the Chair-elect is in his/her third year of his/her three year term and runs for re-election but is not reelected as Senator in his/her school, he/she would be nominated to serve one three-year term as Senator-at-Large, according to the procedures stipulated in section I.1.a. of the Rules of Procedure.
- Only FSC members who will hold a seat for the coming academic year are eligible for election to the positions of Vice Chair and Secretary.
- No person may serve as Chair for more than two academic years without interruption. There is no lifetime limit.
- The Chair-elect shall be elected by secret ballot at the February meeting and will sit with the Executive Committee thereafter.
- The Vice Chair and the Secretary shall be elected by secret ballot at the May meeting.
- Absentee ballots are permitted for FSC members (senators or active alternates only) in good standing.
- For each of these elections, members of the Nominating Committee shall act as Tellers. Election results will be announced at the end of the meeting when the election took place. The vote tally will not be made public.
- Nominations from the floor, duly seconded, shall be permitted after the list of candidates has been announced
Terms of Service
- The Chair-elect will become Chair following the May meeting of the Council and serve until the following May. The Past Chair will continue to serve on the Executive Committee, even if he or she has completed his/her elected term of office as Faculty Senator. If the Chair serves a second consecutive term, the Past Chair may remain in office.
- The Vice Chair and the Secretary will take office following the May meeting of the Council and serve until the following May.