The Office of General Counsel (OGC) provides legal services to New York University, including all of NYU's schools and administrative offices, the NYU Langone Medical Center and other NYU affiliates, NYU's portal campuses in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai, and all of NYU's global academic sites. The purpose of this website is to provide members of the NYU community with an understanding of what the OGC is, the services it provides, and other resources that may be of use to faculty, staff or students, such as important University policies and procedures.
Please contact our office regarding legal matters that affect or involve the University.
The Office of General Counsel is located in Bobst Library:
70 Washington Square South, 11th floor
New York, New York 10012
The Office of General Counsel's main telephone number is 212-998-2240.
For contact information for attorneys of the NYU Langone Medical Center, please refer to their individual pages.
Please note that only the OGC is authorized to retain Outside Counsel on behalf of the University. For more information with respect to the use of outside counsel, please refer to the Using Outside Counsel page.
The Office of General Counsel (OGC) serves as a strategic partner to its University clients, providing timely and expert legal advice and guidance to the University, which includes the NYU Langone Medical Center, in support of NYU's educational goals and objectives. Led by Terrance Nolan, the General Counsel, and Secretary of the University, the office consists of attorneys, other legal professionals, and administrative staff. If warranted by the circumstances, the OGC also has the sole discretion to interview and retain outside legal counsel for NYU and its affiliates.
The OGC's objective is to provide professional and reliable legal advice, guidance and support, including:
- serving as a resource for informed decision-making and creative problem-solving to facilitate the University's pursuit of its mission of teaching, research, and service;
- advising and supporting University personnel to ensure excellence in fulfilling NYU's legal and ethical obligations;
- facilitating all aspects of transactions at the University as necessary or appropriate;
- representing the University as legal counsel in judicial and governmental proceedings by advocating and defending its interests; facilitating communications, where appropriate, among various University departments and schools in the context of legal matters;
- and serving as the point of contact for all interaction with outside counsel, who may be retained by the OGC in its sole discretion from time to time as circumstances warrant.